Senior Python Backend Developer
Oura is a fast-growing consumer company that helps people track and improve their sleep using the Oura ring. We are looking for a Python backend developer to strengthen our team.
Oura offers intellectually and technically interesting challenges that differ from typical web app scaling problems. The Oura ring’s sensors have tracked millions of nights of biodata and helped people in over 70 countries to improve their sleep and recovery – and this is only the beginning. Oura’s mission is to empower people to own their potential, giving them the insight and tools needed to be in control of their life.
Oura has solid financial backing and a steady revenue stream. We are now expanding our core cloud development team to better support our rapidly growing customer base.
Our office is located in the center of Helsinki – Kaisaniemi – which is easily reached by public transportation.
As a fast-moving startup, we focus on delivering customer value and being productive. As such, we leverage AWS managed services whenever possible. Our stack includes:
- Python 3, Scala
- REST API, protocol buffers, GraphQL
- SQL, AWS DynamoDB
- AWS SQS, ECS, Batch, Sagemaker, ...
As a backend developer, typical tasks include:
- Designing and implementing APIs and their backing DBs for both internal and external (web/mobile app) users.
- Designing and implementing data processing pipelines together with data scientists.
- Implementing behavioural guidance algorithms together with our science team.
- Taking an active role in shaping the future of Oura's technology and product features.
You will be working in an inspiring environment:
- Small teams of friendly, talented people.
- Developing and deploying high quality, tested and peer-reviewed code.
- Handling sensitive user data, where security is not an afterthought.
- A no-nonsense environment, with few distractions and minimal bureaucracy.
- A focus on collaboration and team productivity. We help each other learn and do better every day.
- Helping to shape Oura’s culture.
- Sane working hours, good work-life balance and deep respect for your personal time.
We would love to have you on our team if you:
- Have great Python programming skills
- Have a good understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Have built backend APIs using REST, gRPC, GraphQL or similar technologies.
- Enjoy writing maintainable and well-tested code.
- Have solid experience of standard software development tools and practices: version control (git), issue tracking, unit testing and agile development processes.
- Have a pragmatic can-do attitude and delivery-focused mindset; shipping working software makes you happy.
- Are happy both executing on your expertise as well as learning new skills.
Although not necessary, we appreciate if you have:
- Experience in running, monitoring and debugging production systems at scale on AWS (We are running on AWS infrastructure and use key AWS services like EC2, RDS, S3 and SQS).
- Experience developing and maintaining applications running on Docker.
At Oura, we care about you and your wellbeing. Everyone here at Oura has a ring of their own and everyone learns something about themselves and how could they improve their health and wellbeing. We also learn from each other.
We use the latest tools and we're always ready to hear what has worked for you in the past.